Some matchmakers may disagree, but I think dating sites are a perfectly legitimate place to meet a potential match, with the proper caution of course.
Dating sites should not be the be all and end all of meeting people, the best way (besides a matchmaker!) is to still go out into the world and interact with people, but dating sites might be an ideal backup plan for those who are busy or who can not afford the services of a matchmaker.
And there is some dos and don’ts of dating site etiquette that you should follow in order to have the most pleasant online dating site experience and maybe come out a winner.
1. DO post a RECENT clear photo of yourself, preferably one which is natural, like a snap shot, it’s also great if you are smiling. Save the angry model face for another time.
2. DON’T post a photo of yourself many years before, we all gain weight, we all age…the person on the computer screen wants to see who you are today.
3. Women: DON’T message a bunch of guys, let the guys approach you. If you see a guy you really like, you can “wink” at him, let him make the first official contact.
4. Men: DON’T send a woman you like a message saying ” Hi sexy.”, chances are you will not hear back from her. Try this: ” Hi there, I saw your photos and thought they were really nice. How is your week going?”
5. Women: If a woman compliments your photos DO acknowledge his kindness, even if you are not interested. All you to say is ” Thank you for the compliment.”
6. DO speak on the phone before meeting.
7. DO make sure to meet anyone from an online dating site in a public place for the first date.